Welcome to pylightxl documentation. A light weight Microsoft Excel File reader. Although there are several excellent read/write options out there (python-excel.org) pylightxl focused on the following key features:
- Zero non-standard library dependencies (standard libs used:
No compatibility/version control issues.
- Single source code that supports both Python37 and Python27. The light weight library is only 3 source files that can be easily copied directly into a project for those that have installation/download restrictions. In addition the library’s size and zero dependency makes pyinstaller compilation small and easy!
- 100% test-driven development for highest reliability/maintainability with 100% coverage on all supported versions
- API aimed to be user friendly, intuitive and to the point with no bells and whistles. Structure: database > worksheet > indexing
High-Level Feature Summary¶
- Read excel files (
.xlsm), all sheets or selective few for speed/memory management
- Index cell data by row/col number or address
- Calling an entire row/col of data returns an easy to use list output:
- Worksheet data size is consistent for each row/col. Any data that is empty will return a ‘’
- Writer coming soon!
Although every effort was made to support a variety of users, the following limitations should be read carefully:
- Does not support
.xlsfiles (Microsoft Excel 2003 and older files)
- Does not support worksheet cell data more than 536,870,912 cells (32-bit list limitation)
- 1. Installation
- 2. Quick Start Guide
- 3. Source Code Documentation
- 4. Example Solutions
- 5. Revision Log
- 6. License